Friday, March 21, 2014

Telling Time?

Bryce has been holding out on us again.  Or maybe (obviously) I just haven't asked him the right questions to find out what he knows.  I learned this morning of something else Bryce is able to do.  He can tell time!  I knew that he would watch the clock and know when it was time for recess or something like that, but he could have just known what the clock looked like when it was that time...since it is the same every day.  I've wondered about this!

Well, today his Para at school said that she has been working with him and she now knows that he is able to actually tell time!  She has been holding up a clock, setting it to a certain time, 1:00, 3:00, etc, and asking him what time it is.  She then lets him choose (with his eyes) from multiple options.  She said that he has answered correctly with every one of the "on the hour" times that she has asked of him.  Every single time!  She did say that he made a couple of mistakes on things like 1:30, 3:30, etc, but otherwise got every other one correct!  She has just done on the hour and half hour so far, but who knows how much more that boys knows.  I'm guessing it's a lot!

What really amazes me is that no one has ever sat down and taught him how to tell time.  He just knows!  He has just picked it up by observing and listening to what is going on around him I guess. 

Unbelievable, okay, not really, but I am just so thrilled to know that his brain is working as well as I have always thought it was.  I love that someone outside of our home is actually discovering this and continues to find new ways to challenge him and discover what he knows.  

I cannot wait for this boy to get home from school so he can show off for me as well!  :)


No comments: